[June 22, 2012]
OCLC announces new agreements with publishers around the world, adding high-quality content to WorldCat Local
Copyright (c) 2012 OCLC
|Summary||OCLC has signed new agreements with leading global publishers and has added a significant list of important new collections to WorldCat Local, the OCLC discovery and delivery service that offers users integrated access to more than 969 million items.|
DUBLIN, Ohio, USA, 22 June 2012—OCLC has signed new agreements with leading global publishers and has added a significant list of important new collections to WorldCat Local, the OCLC discovery and delivery service that offers users integrated access to more than 969 million items.
The following content providers will add valuable new collections—including some searchable full text—to WorldCat Local, WorldCat.org and OCLC WorldShare Management Services unless otherwise noted:
- Adam Matthew Publications, based in the United Kingdom, is a scholarly publisher of original manuscript collections, rare printed books and other primary source material. Adam Matthew Publications will be providing metadata and full text (where available) for various content collections, such as Adam Matthew Digital.
- Boom Uitgevers, based in the Netherlands, is a division of Royal Boom Publishers, which is a multi-media publishing enterprise active in areas of high-quality educational and scientific publications. Boom Uitgevers will provide the metadata and full text.
- Expert Reviews, Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, is a leading publisher of commentary and analysis in modern healthcare, publishing thought-provoking, authoritative articles from international opinion leaders to inform clinical practice. Expert Reviews will be providing metadata and full-text for their journal collection.
- Future Medicine, Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, has developed an innovative publishing portfolio to reflect the advances in postgenomic medicine and to guide best clinical practice in modern medicine. Future Medicine will provide their metadata and full-text for their journal collection.
- Future Science, based in the United Kingdom, specializes in the publication of high-quality commentary and analysis in today's key areas of research endeavor, including an infrastructure for sustainable development and associated technologies. Future Science will be providing OCLC with metadata and full-text for their journal collection.
- Universitetsforlaget, based in Norway, provides idunn.no, a national database for academic journals, which is the first and largest database for academic journals in the Nordic countries, covering a wide selection of academic fields of interest. Journals, both metadata and full-text, will be available.
- INTELECOM Intelligent Telecommunications, based in California, is a non-profit corporation owned and operated by a joint power authority of 31 California community colleges. The INTELECOM Video Library provides instructors, librarians, and lifelong learners with a quality online source for educational video. INTELLECOM will be providing metadata to OCLC for inclusion into WorldCat Local.
- John Wiley & Sons, Inc., based in the United Kingdom, publishes a broad, multidisciplinary collection of online resources covering life, health and physical sciences, social science, and the humanities. Wiley will make the metadata from Wiley Online Library journals and eBooks available.
- L'Année philologique on the Internet, based in France, is the digital version of L'Année philologique, a database published by the Société Internationale de Bibliographie Classique, in collaboration with the French Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the American Philological Association (APA). Approximately 800,000 records will be indexed in WorldCat Local.
- Museo Galileo - Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza, based in Italy, is one of the foremost international institutions in the History of Science, combining a noted museum of scientific instruments and an institute dedicated to the research, documentation and dissemination of the history of science in the broadest senses. Museo Galileo will be providing OCLC with metadata for inclusion into WorldCat.org.
- Palgrave MacMillan, based in the United Kingdom, is a global academic publisher serving learning and scholarship in higher education and professional markets. Palgrave MacMillan will make their metadata and full text for their journals and books available.
- World Scientific Publishing Company, based in Singapore, has established itself as one of the leading scientific publishers in the world, and the largest international scientific publisher in the Asia-Pacific region. World Scientific will provide journal metadata.
New content recently added to the WorldCat Local central index includes:
- African American Music Reference
- American National Biography Online
- American Song - North America
- ASABE Technical Library
- ASTM Publications
- ASTM Standards
- Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America
- Biography and Genealogy Master Index
- Black Short Fiction and Folklore
- Black Women Writers
- Brepols Publishers NV Books
- Brepols Publishers NV Journals
- British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries – Post Jan. 29, 2009
- British and Irish Women's Letters And Diaries – Pre Jan. 2009
- Caribbean Literature
- Civil War Letters and Diaries
- Classical Music Library
- Contemporary World Music
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Gale Beachem's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America
- Garland Encyclopedia of World Music
- HeinOnline Federal Agency Documents
- HeinOnline U.S. Congressional Documents
- HeinOnline United Nations Law Collection
- HeinOnline World Constitutions Illustrated
- Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective: 1907-1984 (H.W. Wilson) - REMOTE
- Humanities Full Text (H.W. Wilson) - REMOTE
- Informit Business Collection
- Informit Engineering Collection
- Informit Families & Society Collection
- Informit Health Collection
- Informit Humanities & Social Sciences Collection
- Informit Indigenous Collection
- Informit Literature & Culture Collection
- Informit New Zealand Collection
- Irish Women Poets of the Romantic Period
- Jazz Music Library - United States
- Karger Journals
- Latin American Women Writers
- Latino Literature
- M.E. Sharpe Online Reference
- Manuscript Women's Letters and Diaries
- Music Online Listening – North America
- Music Online Listening Plus – United States
- Music Online Reference
- North American Immigrant Letters, Diaries, and Oral Histories
- North American Women's Letters and Diaries
- OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson) - REMOTE
- OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson) - REMOTE
- Oxford Reference Online
- Philosophy Documentation Center
- Rock's Backpages
- Royal Society of Chemistry Journals
- Science Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson) - REMOTE
- Scottish Women Poets of the Romantic Period
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
- South and Southeast Asian Literature
- Underground and Independent Comics, Comix, and Graphic Novels
- World Bank eLibrary
OCLC continues to negotiate access to critical library content on behalf of the cooperative to ensure access to libraries' most popular resources. A complete list of databases and collections available through WorldCat Local from these and other publishers is available online.
Founded in 1967, OCLC is a nonprofit, membership, computer library service and research organization dedicated to the public purposes of furthering access to the world's information and reducing library costs. More than 72,000 libraries in 170 countries have used OCLC services to locate, acquire, catalog, lend, preserve and manage library materials. Researchers, students, faculty, scholars, professional librarians and other information seekers use OCLC services to obtain bibliographic, abstract and full-text information when and where they need it. OCLC and its member libraries cooperatively produce and maintain WorldCat, the world's largest online database for discovery of library resources. Search WorldCat on the Web at www.worldcat.org. For more information, visit www.oclc.org.