Surpass Software recently released Web Safari, the Web-based catalog for users of Surpass library automation software. With Web Safari, patrons can access the library's holdings from any PC, Macintosh, or other computer connected to the Internet and running a standard Web browser such as Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Web Safari is more than just a search tool. It's an information gateway to the library that allows patrons to access the facility calendar, read or write book reviews, check the status of their accounts, browse recommended reading lists, read library news and bulletins, and even send feedback to the library staff.
Web Safari users may choose from a simple search option or an advanced search that allows for Boolean searches, and various search limiters. Through simple selection boxes, the user can choose to limit the search results to only items that are currently available (not checked out) or to only materials in a certain category such as paperback, VHS video, easy reader, or DVD. With any type of search, the results are displayed in an easy to read format.
Web Safari is a pleasure to use, offering an attractive interface lacking in other Web-based catalogs. Web Safari also offers thoughtful features that are not found elsewhere. On each detail page, Web Safari makes recommendations for similar materials and displays a unique "patrons who borrowed this also borrowed..." list of recommended titles. Each title shown also includes any patron-written reviews and gives the user the opportunity to submit their own review for possible publication. Web Safari makes other clever features available through the use of patron "Book Bags." When viewing search results, the patron can choose to add individual titles or an entire list to their Book Bag. By adding titles from various searches, the results accumulate into the Book Bag to create the custom bibliography. When finished searching, patrons simply print this bibliography then travel to the library to use or borrow materials.
Web Safari offers different levels of user access to determine which features are accessible to the patron. If users choose to log in with their personal password, many more exciting features become available.
· Persistent Personal Book Bag : The patron's Book Bag is automatically saved . So a user searching from home can return to the library and continue to research and add materials to their Book Bag the next day, or print their list to check the materials out.
· Publish a recommended reading list: Authorized users such as teachers can create Recommended Reading lists of course-related materials which are available to patrons using Web Safari.
· Publish a list of new materials and popular titles: Authorized users can create and publish lists of new materials and popular titles that can be browsed by any patron
· Access to personal account information: Patrons can view a list of the materials they currently have on loan, a list of materials reserved for them and their fines balance.
· Reserve materials: If authorized by the library, patrons can reserve and hold materials for pick up.
A sample Web Safari database is available for use from the Surpass Web site at SurpassSoftware.com. Sample IDs and passwords give access to the features of each user level. Surpass also offers a trial version of Web Safari and other products by free download from the Internet or on a free CD-ROM.
The exciting and unique features of Surpass Safari combined with an easy-to-use and attractive interface give Web Safari a unique place in the marked of Web-based catalogs. Surpass users with a site license can purchase Web Safari for under $1000, making it a great value.
Surpass is a full-featured suite of library automation products offered by Surpass Software of Calhoun, Georgia. The products are easy-to-use, yet affordable, and include unique features like patron-written book reviews, Easy Authority(tm), printing of patron photo ID cards, and a powerful built-in report generator to completely customize any report.
Free, fully-functional demonstration versions of Surpass are available at SurpassSoftware.com.
Contact Surpass Software toll-free at (877) 625-2657 or (706) 625-5399. Sales information is available at SurpassSoftware.com, through email at sales@SurpassSoftware.com, or by mail at Surpass Software, 517 Oothcalooga Street, Suite C, Calhoun, Georgia, 30701.